Saturday, February 19, 2011

In Search of a Story

 If learning the craft of film capturing and editing has taught me anything, the lesson is that everything looks, sounds, feels better when it contributes and has a place in a story.  The ritual of passing stories down for generations through the practice of orally reciting them over and over has been a treasured tradition for many societies throughout history.  Stories are what our young engage with before falling asleep, what our parents hope they can continue to write with their lives, even in the midst of ennui and mid-life crisis, and what our ancestors must tell before their journey takes them to another place.  Stories can evoke several feelings and thoughts from the hearers and good stories stay with the listeners throughout their entire lives.  It is my desire to learn how to join the several narrators that have come before myself.  I also hope that by integrating modern technology with the age old art of character development, lush descriptions of the setting, moving themes, and poignant symbolism, I can engage the listeners and onlookers in my gathered circle around me and invite them to interact with the narrative.

Join my process as I read books on film, branding identity, novels (old and new), and the occasional faery tale.  Come along with me as I take pictures of nature, architecture, people that I love, and the occasional stranger.  Read as I share my thoughts on short films, independent films, documentaries, and the occasional blockbuster.  Look on as I ask questions regarding life, love, friendship, and the occasional scripture.

It is my hope within all of this true looking at the world that I will, I must find a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment